Meditation tips for a complete beginner
Below are a few simple steps on how to meditate each morning.
- Find a quiet place to sit or lay down
- Start with 5 minutes each day if you can
- Ensure you have correct posture if you are seated
- Breathe. Tune in to the feeling of being present.
- Note physical tensions and mental concerns. Acknowledge them with kindness and invite them to relax and release.
- Breathe in: you’re aware that you’re breathing in. Breathe out: you’re aware that you’re breathing out.
- When you notice that your mind has wandered, gently but firmly bring it back to the breath.
- It can make you feel great emotionally and physically.
- It enhances activity in the area of your brain that's associated with positive emotions and experiences.
- It helps filter out the internal and external “noise” and negative self-talk.
- For men, the cortisol released during meditation can increase testosterone levels.
- Counteract stress. Increases happiness, better sleep, and more creativity.